Basingstoke is a popular shopping hub, attracting customers from beyond the county. The retail and food sector here is strong, growing and diverse.
We're also home to Europe's largest banana ripening factory, grow and pack Vitacress salads and distil every single drop of Bombay Sapphire.
Our competitive advantage
- Skills and workforce - Employing around 15,000 people, the sector is supported by higher education in business, retail, tourism and hospitality.
- Retail units - Available and affordable retail units.
- Transport links - Great road and rail links make Basingstoke easily accessible for shoppers and distribution.
- Land bank - Available, affordable land and lots of it.
- A dynamic council with redevelopment and regeneration at the forefront of our policy.
There are three main shopping areas all offering unique character and retail opportunities.
Festival Place is the town’s premier shopping location with over 160 stores and over 30 bars, cafes and restaurants.
The Malls is a semi-outdoor shopping experience with high street names.
The Top of the Town is an attractive, more traditional high street providing an open air alternative to the large shopping malls, and offers vibrant night life.
We're home to an impressive range of top names.
- Apple Store
- Bombay Sapphire (case study)
- Fat Face
- John Lewis Home
We always focus on recruiting locally and when we moved to the area we were delighted with the wealth of local talent we could draw from.
Basingstoke is built for business, but that’s just the start of the story. Outside of work, there’s plenty to do, from shopping, eating and drinking through to enjoying the surrounding countryside.
95% of residents think it's a great place to live.
Latest figures show Basingstoke is the place to do business
Basingstoke and Deane continues to demonstrate it is a workplace winner, following the release of the latest office take-up figures.
During #NAW2020 over 900 stakeholder events took place celebrating the diversity of #apprenticeships; #NAW2020 trended No. 1 UK wide & #AskAnApprentice and #AskAnEmployer online Q&Aâ€™s reached thousands.
What a success! ???? Thanks for your support!https://t.co/EWxxjbJpXn pic.twitter.com/ZsHWik5c1C